Thursday, November 19, 2015

A Playground of Children


Recently I had the opportunity to observe young children play at a local playground.  There were about eight kids between the ages of around four and six.  A couple of children swung on the swings; another was sliding down a high twister-like slide.  Two more children were on the monkey bars trying to see who could go the farthest without falling.  One child was using the woodchips and some dirt to make some sort of tower or game (I wasn’t exactly sure).  He was in touch with nature by using dirt and even some grass he found.  Two more kids were playing hide a go seek with each other around the park.  They used nature to find new hiding places.  Each of the children had a subtle smirk on their face reminding me of their innocence.  They didn’t have any worries yet.  They didn’t know the problems of the world around them.  Each child just played happily living in the present without thinking of the past or future.  I feel that I am still a child inside.  At times, I act quite immature and still enjoy activities I liked when I was young.  However, I seem to act different than when I was young as well.  I approach problems with a more level head.  I also am more absorbed in the outside world and its problems than when I was young.  I do not mourn the loss of my childhood.  Instead, I celebrate the onset of adolescence and adulthood.  I am that much closer to growing up and being my own person.  I am excited for the future that holds more opportunities than I had as a child.  I would not return to my childhood because I would lose the freedom I otherwise would not have.  However, in my heart I will still always be a child and will always act like one sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment